Many victims simply fall overboard or are thrown overboard in a collision. Many deaths and injuries can be avoided by wearing Personal Flotation Devices (Life Jackets) and following some basic rules of boating operation. Various Louisiana agencies, like the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and the US Coast Guard set forth the rules of safe boating.
If you need help or have any question about your Louisiana boating accident, call me at 866-558-9151 or submit your inquiry online. Please be advised that you may be facing important legal deadlines so don't delay.Boating Accident Statistics
- As the “Sportsman’s Paradise,” Louisiana is an ideal place for recreational boating. There were nearly 316,600 motorboats registered by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in 2008, which is more than one boat for every six households.
- With this large number of boaters in the state, there are also a large number of boating injuries and fatalities. In 2013, state wildlife officials reported a record low of 13 boating fatalities in Louisiana. The previous low for boating fatalities was 19 in 1992, and the high was in 1974 with 79. Since 2010, Louisiana has an average of 25 boating fatalities a year.
- Nationally, the Coast Guard counted 4515 boating accidents that involved 651 deaths, 3000 injuries, and approximately $38 million in damage. While alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in boating fatalities and injuries, operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, machinery failure, and excessive speed are the next leading factors of boating accidents. The top five causes of death of boating accidents are drowning, trauma, cardiac arrest, hypothermia, and carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Although boating remains a popular sport in Louisiana, the large number of boats in use increases the likelihood of an accident. Negligent and reckless drivers can cause harm to fellow passengers, swimmers, and other boats. If you need help or have any question about your Louisiana boating accident, call me at 866-558-9151 or submit your inquiry online. Please be advised that you may be facing important legal deadlines, so don't delay
Incident Reporting & Accident Report Request
- Mr.Lavis represented me in a personal injury with positive results.Throughout the case he always answered my phone calls when I had a question quickly with no delays.Mr.Lavis also is there when you need advise for a specific problem and explained to me with no hesitation very polite with no problems. I would strongly recommend Mr.Lavis with any of your legal matters you might have. Read More »