Preventing Common Biking Accidents
How to Avoid Becoming a Victim of a Biking Accident in New Orleans
You have heard it said that the best defense is a good offense. Usually, this phrase is used when talking about sports, but it is also true in driving, especially when riding a bike. A cyclist is the best defensive driver when riding offensively. This means that cyclists should stay aware of everything happening around them.
Know what you are doing
Biking on city streets is hazardous, and in New Orleans it can be deadly. New Orleans had nearly four bicyclist deaths per 100,000 people from 2007 to 2016, making it the second most dangerous city for bikers.
Still, biking is here to stay, and if you are going to join the thousands of bikers nationwide, you must develop a good offense. Here are some tips on how to do that.
Interactive Graph Showing Fatal Bike Accidents & Reported Bicycle Injuries by Parish
Know the laws that pertain to bicycles
- Safe passing laws
- Helmet laws
- The dooring law
- The non-harassment law
- Application of traffic laws to bicyclists
- Where to ride
- Riding on sidewalks
- The “Idaho Stop” law
- Proper lanes to use
Rules of thumb
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, two main types of crashes are falls and collisions with cars. Collisions with cars are by far the most serious, but cyclists can reduce the risk of all crashes.
Some basic facts
- Most cyclist deaths happen between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- Three-fourths of deadly bicycle crashes occur in urban areas.
- Males are eight times more likely than females to be killed in a bicycle crash.
- Alcohol played a part in almost 40% of deadly bicycle crashes in 2017.
- Keep your bike in good working order, especially the brakes.
- Wear proper gear, like a helmet and a bright-colored shirt, and keep shoelaces tied and secure pant legs so they don’t get caught in the chain.
- If you ride at night, have a headlight and good reflectors on the rear.
Drive defensively and predictably
However, that doesn’t mean you should be unpredictable as well. Be obvious in your actions and signal your intentions. By doing this, you lower your chances of being in an accident with a car. If you are injured, there is a biking accidents attorney in New Orleans you can call.