Morgan City, Louisiana Lawyer
The Atchafalaya River flows along the banks of Morgan City and serves as an outlet for the Morganza Spillway. Morgan City is home to the International Petroleum Museum where visitors can walk aboard, “Mr. Charlie” an Authentic Offshore Drilling Rig that revolutionized the offshore oil industry. The Museum offers Orientation to Offshore, an eight day program where you can train for an entry level position of roustabout or rigger and secure certifications for FA / CPR, Rigging & Handling Loads Safely, Offshore Water Survival, Confined Space Entry, Reparatory Protection, Lockout / Tagout, Personal Protection Equipment, Hazwoper Awareness, Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting, Rig Pass and/or PEC. Mr. Charles was built at a local shipyard.
For over 24 years, Lavis Law Firm – Personal Injury & Accident Attorney has helped people injured on the job including those injured working at shipyards on mobile drilling rigs and fixed platforms and on land. If you are in a work related injury or hurt in a car accident.
To discuss your case with an experienced injury attorney, schedule a free initial consultation by calling us today.
Phone: Toll Free 1-866-558-9151
Hours: We accept calls 24-hours a day
Why our law firm?
- We have an A+ rating with the BBB.
- Top Injured Worker Attorney with Worker Injury Law & Advocacy Group
- We have a 11-part Client Services Guarantee.
- “What I love about him is his Honesty and Integrity and how professional he handles his business”.
- “Mr. Lavis handles my worker’s compensation case and is easy to contact when I need him. Very professional and always doing his best for me. I would highly recommend Mr. Lavis if you are in need of a great professional attorney”.
- “He’s got great personality and is very helpful”.
“Mr. Lavis was a tremendous help when I got in a car accident. He took care of everything for me and made sure I was able to see the doctor I wanted to visit. He resolved the matter promptly and made sure to always return my phone calls whenever I had questions. I would definitely recommend Mr. Lavis to my friends and family.”
Review by: Scott
Reviewing: Lavis Law Firm – Personal Injury & Accident Attorney Read More Testimonials on AVVO
What types of cases do we take?Our law firm focuses in the following areas of law:
- Work Injuries: The type of workers comp benefits you received depend on both the location of your injury (Inland, Shore side, On The Mississippi River, Lake, Offshore) and the type of work that you do. All workers compensation systems provide for some type of wage loss benefit, medical expense, mileage reimbursement and death benefits. Some compensation systems such as the Jones Act and FELA require proving employer negligence and provide money for pain and suffering. Other, like the Longshore Act and Louisiana Worker’s Comp are not based on fault but do not provide for pain and suffering money unless the injured worker is successful in bringing a third party claim.
- Insurance Claims: We love helping with life insurance and property damage claims. Oftentimes insurance is denied for an arbitrary reason, or a misinterpretation or misrepresentation of policy language. Request a copy of your policy and call our Morgan City, LA insurance lawyer for help. Lavis Law Firm – Personal Injury & Accident Attorney has handled hundreds of homeowner’s claims and many life insurance and flood insurance claims.
- Personal Injuries: Charles Lavis became a personal injury attorney in 1995 because he likes to help people like you. If you were hurt on the job, involved in an auto accident, boating accident, construction accident, or otherwise suffered a loss because of a defective product, shoddy repair job or because you slipped and fell on a wet floor or tripped and fell on pavement in a parking lot, it might be time to look for a personal injury attorney in Morgan City, LA.
Morgan City, Louisiana
When the settlement that would eventually be named Morgan City was founded in the mid nineteenth century, residents could not anticipate the geographical significance of the location. Not only was the area located on the banks of the Atchafalaya, but the water that surrounded the settlement covered a rich oil reserve.
Inhabitants of Morgan City (which was renamed from Bashear City in 1876) came to rely upon the nearby waterways as the backbone of their economy. The river and surrounding swamps are home to an abundance of shrimp, the culinary trademark of Morgan City. Constant passage of ships and boats down the Atchafalaya led to the building of a major port, which has brought trade-related capital into the city. Oil was discovered in the late 1800s, and the city began to acquire it in earnest in the mid-20th century. As such, oil, shrimp and port traffic are illustrated as the three major pillars of the economy of Morgan City. The presence of the “Shrimp and Petroleum” festival in the area is indicative of this reliance.
Unfortunately, the economy of Morgan City, being so intrinsically tied to specific industries, has suffered in the wake of several economic events. The oil bust hit the area hard, and there has been a steady decline in the number of oil-related jobs in the past several decades. Individuals who work in the seafood and fishery industry have less to worry about traditional layoffs than those who are in the oil industry, but in the aftermath of the BP Oil Spill and a subsequent (unrelated) overturning of an oil rig in the Morgan City area, their livelihood is directly threatened. There has been some diversification of Morgan City’s economy, and attempts to attract new industries to the area and expand the tourism industry, with some success. Fundamentally, however, Morgan City’s economy and workforce rely upon the presence of oil and fishery related jobs. In an area where the economy is suffering, and sizable percentage of the population is in poverty, it is clear that the oil and seafood industries can no longer sustain the area indefinitely
If you have any questions about your Morgan City, Louisiana legal matter, please give Lavis Law Firm – Personal Injury & Accident Attorney a call at toll free 1-866-558-9151 or submit your inquiry online. We help people recover money from corporations, insurance companies and governments by overcoming problems, hassles and delays.